Russia is banned from the Women’s Euros and the 2023 World Cup

Russia has been expelled from the European Women’s Summer Games this summer and banned from qualifying for the 2023 Women’s World Cup on Monday, sparking a national tournament. intersection of Ukraine.

UEFA, the European governing body for football, announced its decision on Monday. In addition to banning Russia team from two of the biggest competitions in women’s soccer, the board said it had suspended all Russian teams and clubs from UEFA. competition until further notice.

Russian clubs are still banned from all UEFA competitions – including the Champions League, the richest football league in football – for the 2022-23 season.

Previous sanctions have been applied to the most important Russian men, throwing Russia out of qualification for this year’s World Cup in Qatar when he needed only two victories. further to gain a place in the region and eliminate the Russian club, Spartak Moscow, by knockout rounds of the Europa League.

The Russian women missed two World Cup qualifiers in April due to restrictions imposed by her team, but UEFA has postponed a decision on her involvement in the World Cup. lady Euros, which opened in July in England. Now, with the event coming up and many countries on record that they will not play against a Russian team, it has little choice.

Portugal will replace Russia at the European Championship, taking its place in a team that includes two favorite championships – the Netherlands and Sweden – along with Switzerland. Russia beat Portugal in the game to qualify for the event.

Many international football clubs and associations have excluded Russian and Russian athletes from the tournament since the national invasion of Ukraine in February, in various sports. such as tennis, soccer, athletics and running and fieldwork. Last week, Russia was suspended from hosting rights for next year’s World Ice hockey championships.

Russia has vowed to oppose some of the sanctions against its team and the players of the Court of Justice for Sport in Switzerland, the body responsible for the decision. conflicts in sports. (There are nearly a dozen complaints that have been filed in court.) And not everyone agrees with the blanket ban on Russian athletes.

After Wimbledon, under pressure from the British government, confirmed that it would not allow Russians and Belarusians to take part in a turmoil this summer, Both the men and women tourers expressed concern about the decision.

The ATP, which runs the tour men, called it “unfair” and said it had “the ability to inflict damage on the game.”

The WTA, which oversees women’s touring, said: “Athletes should not be penalized or prevented from competing because of their location or the decisions of the government on their behalf. national. Discrimination, and the determination to focus on racism against athletes who regard themselves as human, unjust or unjust. “

On Sunday, top men athletes Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal added their voices to the criticism.

“It is not their fault that this happened at this time with the war,” Nadal, the 21-time Grand Slam winner, said in Spain, calling for some interference “My Russian friends, my colleagues. “

“I apologize to them,” Nadal said. “Wimbledon has just made that decision. The government did not force them to do so. “

Leave a Comment