PGA Tour does not see Soccer for Saudi-Backed Tournament

The PGA Tour has denied its involvement in the ability to play in the first event of the Saudi-back golf tour, which would make it an event for next month outside London. The move, announced in a note to tour members Tuesday night, came as no surprise – the PGA Tour is defending its business – but in a good sport. thing, it presents the negative.

It is also important for the world’s best men golfers, who are highly paid entrepreneurs, to choose the inside where they will collect their millions in cash . And for no apparent reason, the main source of controversy is often the location of another golf tournament, LIV Golf, whose main investor is the Public Investment Fund, a financial institution. of Saudi Arabia.

The most dangerous thing is that only some players with a slight rise of design, American-based PGA Tour – plus a handful of golfers past their first – will jump into the new golf series, which may not have the money but currently does not have. fame, or even a TV contract.

But if the start of the tour has been painful for years – perhaps not true – and keep its promise to remove the gloves that plague the people on the PGA Tour, it can plant inconsistencies in the line for the future of young people, especially those raised. outside the United States whose goal is not to be on the PGA Tour.

Up to now, the scores of the tour, including everyone at the top of the men’s world rankings, have pledged their allegiance to the PGA Tour.

On several occasions, Rory McIlroy, the four-time winner of the seventh-place finish in the world, declared the tour “dead in the water.” He also disagreed with his principles, saying, “I do not like where the income is.” Together with McIlroy, 33, has become a new face of the game, as have Jon Rahm, Collin Morikawa, Justin Thomas and Jordan Spieth.

Caught in controversy is one of the most notorious figures in the sport, Phil Mickelson, who has been out of golf for months since speaking out. support a competitive team.

Mickelson was one of several participants on the PGA Tour, including Sergio García of Spain and Lee Westwood of England, who requested a release from the tour in the first event of the LIV Golf International Series at Centurion Club near London from June. 9 to 11.

The tour refuses to allow releases, which means that players who choose to play in the LIV Golf event will be considered illegal tours. Disciplinary action may include suspending or removing a tour member.

Jay Monahan, director of the PGA Tour, has made it clear to athletes this year that the tour will delay players who are not eligible for league tournaments. The same will be true for the athlete who wants to play even one LIV Golf season, which includes eight events from June to October, including one in Thailand and five in the United States. In late July, the host will be the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, NJ

A few hours later, the PGA Tour denied players a request to play at the Centurion Club event, Greg Norman, the former golf champion who is the director of LIV Golf Investments, denied the decision round.

“Happily, the PGA Tour seems to want to deny golf professionals their right to play golf, unless it is only in the PGA Tour tournament,” Norman said. He added: “Indeed, the tour is intended to legitimize its right to be free and open trade. The tour’s activity is to protect golfer, fan protection and against competition. “

As a promotion, LIV Golf on Tuesday announced plans for a number of events from 2023 to 2025.

The next step in the crash will be in court. Monahan said the tour lawyers believe his decision will oppose a due process hearing.

While the court case will be less than competitive, the key player in the golf scene will be Mickelson’s case. He only has a few days left to commit to next week’s PGA Championship, which he won last year when he became the reigning champion at the age of 50. Mickelson has been linked with LIV Golf Circuit for several months. In February, he was heavily criticized for his skepticism because he supported the Saudi-back tour.

In an interview for an essay on the history to be released next week, Mickelson told journalist Alan Shipnuck that he’s aware of the kingdom “dangerous information of the same people right, “but he favors the new team because it is” a once in a-lifetime way “to raise revenue from PGA Tour players.

Shortly afterwards, Mickelson, the winner of the crucial season who earned nearly $ 95 million on the PGA Tour, was dropped by several of his supporters. He apologized and called her words “ignoring.”

Next week, perhaps while Mickelson is finally preparing for his return to the PGA Championship golf course, Shipnuck’s book, “Phil: The Rip-Roaring (and No Right!) Biography of Golf’s Most Colorful Superstar, “will be released. It should shed light on Mickelson’s gambling behavior, among other things.

García, another player who has long been determined to join the LIV Golf industry, recently expressed his support of other tournaments in a different way. Playing at last week’s PGA Tour event near Washington, García was approved by the golf club at a class decision against him. The next decision was made in error (but not reversed). García, whose PGA Tour venture has grossed over $ 54 million, told staff, in a protest by a nearby radio station: “I can not wait to leave. around here. ” “In a few more weeks, I do not have to be with you anymore,” he said.

García, 42, represents the type of golf that may be most satisfying to the promises of the LIV Golf enterprise. A Masters winner with 11 PGA Tour victories, he struggled to keep up with the stronger, more elite youngsters. His world ranking dropped to 46th. He is also not American, like other golfers who have reportedly signed up with the tour. These players generally like LIV Golf a lot of the world, and limited, time. Some American tour guides are heavy, restricted and heavy on events happening in the United States.

In the meantime, there is a ruckus in the genteel world of golf. Its short impact does not seem to make the ship bigger. The question is how long will the tour operators be able to maintain security, and whether that will be enough to make the sport a more attractive and rewarding experience. good.

Leave a Comment